Friday, August 8, 2014

Zucchini Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins


Well, it is the biggest rummage sale day of the year around these parts and I have a fabulous tradition with my girlfriends to get together the second Saturday morning in August to find great deals on things we may or may not need.

You know how that goes....

A few years ago, I brought my Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins and my friends have been asking for them ever since.

So, this year, in my abundance of zucchini, I thought I'd revise that recipe...put in more of the good and less of the bad...kill two birds with one stone...bring them the banana muffins they have been asking for and try something new around here.

Without further ado...


Start with two over ripe bananas, mashed up real good.  

Can anyone tell me, do bananas ripen faster this time of year or is that just me?


One and a half cups of shredded zucchini.


So many recipes call for one zucchini, shredded, that is too ambiguous, even for this queen of ambiguity.  

My zucchini vary in size so greatly...I just shredded half of one and measured the shreds accordingly.


Whisk up the zucchini and bananas with 1/2 cup sugar and 1 tsp vanilla extract.


As far as the dry ingredients, one and a half cups flour, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder and 1/2 tsp salt.

Many recipes tell you to mix the dry ingredient separately…
I'm not big on that.  
The main reason is so that the minor ingredients (baking soda, powder and salt) are distributed evenly.
I just heap them all together and mix well.  
No complaints around here.

It helps to begin with the end in mind, if you know the reasoning behind any given instructions, 
you can revise the method according to the goal.

Only thing this is really missing from the original recipe is oatmeal...(and an egg).  I really like the texture that oatmeal imparts...perhaps I'll make another batch with another 1/2 cup of zucchini and a cup or so of oatmeal..really keep you guessing!

Finally, 1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips were added and the batter was folded together. 


Muffin tins were sprayed with cooking spray, I prefer that for muffins, for some reason. 

Bake these bad boys at 350 F for 20-25 minutes, until the tops are just starting to brown.


These were amazing, nothing short of delicious! 

Only problem is that this recipe only made 10, so you may want to double. 



RECIPE:

Ingredients:
2 overripe Bananas - mashed
1 1/2 cups of shredded zucchini
1/2 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract

1 1/2 cups flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

1/2 cup of mini chocolate chips


Directions:
Whisk together bananas, zucchini, sugar and vanilla. 
Add dry ingredients, flour, baking soda, baking powder and salt. 
Mix everything together and add chocolate chips. 

Pour batter into spray muffin tins. 
Baking at 350F for 20-25 minutes. 



**Share with your neighbors and anyone else you want to be your friend**





No comments:

Post a Comment