Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Amazing, Healthy & Easy Banana Chocolate Chip Muffins



Like you, I, too, love to enjoy delicious treats and whenever I can take something delicious and make it healthier, I'm on cloud nine. Having a nutritious snack, that my kids fight for, ready for them after school, helps to keep everything in check when they get home and before they dart off to the next activity.

This recipe is my own healthier version of an awesome recipe for Double Chocolate Chip Banana muffins (which I will include below for those of us who are more inclined to indulge), I thought if I skipped the cocoa powder, replaced some of the all purpose flour with whole wheat flour and oatmeal, as well as decrease the amount of sugar, these could still be killer without as the guilt of feeding my kids more junk food.  I was RIGHT!!!  They are moist and delicious!


We had some bananas that joined us at the basketball tournament over the weekend and were not longer suitable for my family's taste buds; a rare but happy day for me when bananas get this ripe in my house.


After setting the oven to 350 F to preheat, I combined all of the dry ingredients (1 cup flour, 1/4 cup quick oats, 1/4 cup whole wheat flour, 3/4 cup sugar, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp baking powder, 1/2 tsp salt) in a large bowl.  When baking quick breads like this, there is plenty of room for play…if you don't have whole wheat flour, try a half cup of quick oats or throw in another healthy grain…you won't even know it is in there!  


In a smaller bowl, mash up the ripe bananas, I usually use 3, add 1/3 cup of your baking oil of choice, today I had canola on hand and 1 egg, once the wet ingredients are combined, pour into the dry ingredients, mixing until just moistened, then add the chocolate chips…recipes calls for 1 cup, I'm usually a little light on that.


After spraying the muffin cups, fill them about 3/4 full. It is important to try to keep the level of batter similar so that they bake the same.


Pop them into the oven for 20-25 minutes and enjoy, upon cooling.  They never last more than 24 hours around my house, they are great for breakfast, after school or on the go.  




Ingredients Healthier Indulgent
All purpose flour 1 cup 1 1/2 cup
Quick Oats 1/4 cup  -
Whole Wheat Flour 1/4 cup  -
Sugar 3/4 cup 1 cup
Baking cocoa  - 1/4 cup
Baking soda 1 tsp 1 tsp
Baking Powder 1/4 tsp 1/4 tsp
salt 1/2 tsp 1/2 tsp
Bananas - ripe 3 each 3 each
Vegetable oil 1/3 cup 1/3 cup
egg 1 each 1 each
chocolate chips 3/4 cup 1 cup

Bake at 350 for 20-25 minutes.

**Just a little aside, most muffins won't brown this much, I accidentally added 1 tsp of baking powder, instead of a 1/4 tsp…they tasted fine, just a little more browning (Maillard reaction) took place. 


No comments:

Post a Comment