Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Slow Cooker Jambalaya


Happy Tuesday to all. 

I'm home again today with our youngest who is still fighting a fever.  
Poor guy!  

While being sick is never fun, at least when it is rainy and 35 F, 
spending the day snuggled in bed isn't such a bad alternative. 

Since I'm home, I can get caught up a bit!
I feel a bit like a slacker since I've noticed that this is only my 3rd post this month, 
but if you have seen the  Facebook feeds or the Janesville Gazette,
 at least I have a good alibi.

Making all of that food in one day (click here for recipes) 
was quite the cooking extravaganza and 
I am so thankful and humbled to have the opportunity to share my recipes with a broader community. 

Besides the upcoming holidays,
 I've been hearing some of you talk about warm, healthy, easy meals that are ready when you are!  

You are in luck….
I made this Jambalaya in the slow cooker a few weeks ago 
during our last soccer weekend.  
Just throw a few simple ingredients together and 
the fabulous aroma welcomed us into the house after the brisk afternoon at the field.  

Without further ado, let's get started!


Add two chicken breasts, whole, and 
one sliced up ring of smoked beef sausage 
 to the slow cooker. 

Just last year, I started adding my chicken to the slow cooker whole, 
as in, un-chopped.   

This is so much better!
Less mess because a raw chicken cutting board and knife are eliminated
and
shredding cooked chicken after a few hours in the slow cooker is just soooo easy!  

Actually, it practically shreds itself just removing it from the vessel. 

Anyway, back to the dish.  


Top the meat off with a 28 oz can of crushed tomatoes, 
1 cup of water and 1 chicken bouillon cube


As far as seasoning, I used 
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp ground oregano
2 tsp ground garlic
1 tsp ground thyme


And that's it!  

Stir it up and turn on high for 4-6 hours or low for 8-10 hours. 


When we got home, it had cooked down a bit. 

Remove the chicken for shredding.


Add 1 cup of minute rice

which cooks nice and fast in this hot environment. 


While the rice was cooking, the chicken was shredded and added back.  

So flavorful, so warm and hearty, really hit the spot!  



I'd definitely make a bigger batch next time…
maybe even double it, 
as the leftovers, minimal as they may have been, 
were at least as delicious! 

RECIPE:
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 4-10 hours in Slow Cooker
Served: 6

Ingredients:
2 chicken breasts
1 Ring of smoked beef sausage
28 oz can of crushed tomatoes
1 cup of water
1 chicken bouillon cube
2 tsp Cajun Seasoning
1 tsp ground oregano
2 tsp ground garlic
1 tsp ground thyme
1 cup of minute rice

Directions:
Add all of the ingredients, except the rice, to the slow cooker. 
Stir well and set on low for 8-10 hours or high for 4-6 hours. 
Just before serving, remove chicken for shredding. 
Add rice for cooking. 
Add back the chicken. 

Serve it up!  




No comments:

Post a Comment