Tuesday, August 26, 2014

Summer Harvest Shrimp Stir Fry


"One day at a time"

That is my mantra these days as I attempt to savor the last days of the best summer of my life, home with my kids, making a lifelong dream come true.

One day at a time, I remind myself, when I get caught up in everything that needs to be done for back to school.

One day at a time, when I look at my Summer 2014 list and see unchecked items.

Just trying to savor the fleeting moments with the kids, playing games, cleaning rooms and enjoying each others company.

While I'm so busy cherishing each moment, I also failed to plan a meal or grocery list.

Jerry asked me what was for dinner last night and I said that I had nothing planned.  He may have a bit surprised by that…I've always got a plan!

I simply stated that there was some shrimp in the freezer that could be thawed.

After the shrimp, I contemplated what else I had to go with it and the obvious zucchini and tomatoes came to mind.

And, that is how last night's Summer Harvest Shrimp Stir Fry dinner came about.

Stir fries are fast, fresh and easy…we should all make them more.  


As I was pulling this meal together, these are the ingredients I brought to the table.  

By all means, if this is too complicated, 
there are plenty of good sauces that take care of many of the details for you.  


Start with the fixing of any good meal…1/2 stick butter, 1/4 cup olive oil and 1 tbsp minced garlic.


Sautee over medium heat. 


Add 1# of shrimp

I always buy uncooked, peeled and deveined shrimp so that they are ready to go, once thawed.


While the shrimp were cooking, 
my youngest helper was chopping up the zucchini and cherry tomatoes. 

I can't say enough about having the kids help me in the kitchen! 
Warms my heart to share my love of cooking and that they actually want to help. 


As the shrimp turn pink and opaque, they are approaching done status.  

Then, they were then set aside to give the veggies their turn!


About 2 zucchini were sliced up 
and added to the pan, with enough butter, garlic and olive oil left for cooking. 

Maybe next time I'd do chunks, or at least cut this big slices in half. 


One cup of halved cherry tomatoes and one cup of sweet corn were added.  

We are still waiting on our sweet corn from the garden, so this had to come from the freezer…


Toss it all together, season with some fresh ground black pepper and salt.


Add back the shrimp. 


Finished touches were the juice from half of a lemon, 3 tbsp soy sauce and 2 tbsp honey
for a heavenly flavor combination. 


All of this fresh, healthy deliciousness was cooked up in less than 30 minutes
and fed to my kids before heading out to practice.  


RECIPE:

Ingredients:
1/2 stick butter
1/4 cup olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1# of shrimp
2 zucchini - sliced
1 cup of halved cherry tomatoes
1 cup of sweet corn
Fresh ground black pepper and salt - to taste
Juice from half of a lemon
3 tbsp soy sauce
2 tbsp honey
Crushed Red Pepper - optional

Directions:
Sautee minced garlic in butter and olive oil over medium heat. 
Add shrimp and cook until pink and opaque. Then, set aside. 
Add zucchini, tomatoes and sweet corn to pan for quick cooking. 
Sprinkle with salt and pepper according to your taste. 
Return shrimp to pan, add lemon juice, soy sauce and honey. 
Stir it all up to combine flavors. 
Serve and top with crushed red pepper for additional heat.




No comments:

Post a Comment