Tuesday, March 24, 2015

Lori's Chicken Enchiladas and Handwritten Recipes


Today I have the honor and privilege of sharing with you
a handwritten family recipe.

Nope, not from my family, 
although I am thankful to have a box full of recipe cards from my 
bridal shower, 
the personality behind each of those cards speaks volumes,
even as I read them in silence. 

This recipe is the boys' mom's recipe,
and I'm honored to have been given a copy of the handwritten version. 

I never knew Lori, 
but I know the emotions that I feel when I see the hand-writing of someone I love, 
especially who is no longer with us…
my grandma, for example. 

So, when I come across Lori's hand-writing, 
I am sure to point it out to the boys so that they can see and remember 
the unique beauty of their mom,
even if just through her eloquent hand-writing. 

Perhaps it is a good reminder to us, 
in this day of text messages, emails and emoticons,
to take the time to treasure 
what our individual God-given hand-writing says about each of us
and, at the very least, 
take a snapshot of it to conjure up all of those memories 
in something oh-so simple, 
that has been all but taken for granted in this day and age. 

In this spirit of tradition,
I made very few adaptations to this recipe,
other than to omit black olives,
I am NOT a fan.
Feel free to use them…
I'm surprised that Jerry didn't call me out on that, actually.  


Just start with 3 chicken breasts, chopped into bite-sized cubes and cooked up
in 2 tbsp of olive oil along with 1 tbsp of minced garlic and some season salt.


While the chicken was plugging along, 
2 cup of chicken broth and 1 tbsp of corn starch 
were whisked up over high heat, to get the base of the sauce started. 

**Remember that corn starch is cold-water soluble, 
so be sure to add it to the broth before it is heated.**

It starts out cloudy, or opaque as in the picture above.


And then becomes translucent, or clear-ish, 
as the starch begins to gelatinize.  

Next 1/2 cup of sour cream and 2 tbsp of mayo were added.


Finally, 1 - 4 oz can of green chilies and 1 cup of shredded monterey jack cheese
were incorporated to finish off the sauce. 
(This is where you can add some black olives, should you desire!)


The chicken was removed from the pan and 
1 cup of the cheese sauce is added to complete the filling. 


The enchiladas were made by filling
small flour tortillas with about 1/2 cup of the chicken mixture. 


Roll them up and place them into the pan
before topping with the rest of the cheese sauce. 


Top them with another cup of shredded cheese, 
then pop into the oven at 375 F for 30 minutes. 


This made about 6 servings of 2 enchiladas each. 

Next time I will make more!

(You think I would have learned that by now!)


RECIPE:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes
Serves : 6

Ingredients:
3 chicken breasts - cut into bite-sized pieces
2 tbsp of olive oil
1 tbsp of minced garlic
Seasoning salt - to taste
2 cup of chicken broth
1 tbsp of corn starch 
1/2 cup of sour cream
2 tbsp of mayo 
1 - 4 oz can of green chilies
2 cups of shredded monterey jack cheese - divided
1 package of small flour tortillas

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 375F.
  • Cook chicken over medium heat in olive oil along with minced garlic. Sprinkle with salt. 
  • Whisk up corn starch into chicken broth and bring to a boil. 
  • Add sour cream, mayo, chilies and 1 cup of cheese, stir until smooth. 
  • Pour 1 cup of cheese mixture over cooked chicken bites. 
  • Fill tortillas with about 1/2 cup of chicken, adjust accordingly. 
  • Place into pan, top with sauce and shredded cheese. 
  • Bake for 30 minutes.
  • Serve with beans and rice for authentic Mexican meal. 


No comments:

Post a Comment