Friday, August 15, 2014

Veggetti Review for Making Zucchini Noodles with Chicken


Happy Friday, let the weekend begin!

We are looking forward to the local Corn Roast this weekend, but before we get to that, I want to share with you my recent experience with the Veggetti, a kitchen gadget that turns veggies into spaghetti.


As you are probably aware, we have an abundance of zucchini, so I'm looking for a variety of ways to incorporate it into our meals.

These zucchini noodles, or zoodles, as I've seen around the web, are all the rage lately!


So, I went to pick one up to give it a try myself, or should I say, for Alayna to try, which is a pretty good sign it self!


All in all, I like the tool and the noodles have been enjoyed by all.

The biggest challenge is that the Veggetti doesn't work so well on zucchini much larger than what Alayna has in the first picture and many of our zucchini from the garden are too fat for that.

I did try cutting off the tip to see if I could get more use out of the zucchini, but once it is too big, it's no use. 

Especially since the zucchini noodles really cook down, quite a bit, about a zucchini per person would be recommended for a meal.

I'd love to make more zoodles, they are very versatile with lots of wonderful sauces to serve them with, but in order to feed my family, I'd love to see a larger version of the Veggetti.

As far as the meal…


Chopped onions were sautéed in bacon fat before the first batch of zucchini noodles were added. 


The zoodles were added, seasoned with some salt and tossed with tongs just a bit to cook them down. 
The juices along with the seasoning, bacon flavoring and onions made a terrific sauce. 


The swirl on the fork, just like the traditional pasta. 


The zoodles were topped with some seasoned, grilled chicken tenders. 

And, I'm pretty sure that everyone would have come back for more, had there been any extras.  


RECIPE:

Ingredients:

1# chicken tenders

Zucchini - at least one person
Onion - chopped
Bacon fat (I always save this in a glass jar for cooking…a little bit goes a long way!)
Salt & Pepper - to taste

Directions:

Cook up chicken tenders and set aside to keep warm. 

Spiral the zucchini with Veggetti. 
Add onion to melted bacon fat, then the zucchini noodles. 
Season with salt and pepper. 
Toss with tongs until softened. 

Top with chicken and serve! 

Enjoy this wonderful alternative to pasta and utilize some seasonal veggies at the same time!
Win:Win




No comments:

Post a Comment