Thursday, January 29, 2015

Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Burgers

Share on Facebook or Pin on Pinterest for future use!


Okay, so I have a confession to make…
Pizza burgers hold a special place in my heart. 

There, I said it…
who would have guessed?

There was a little diner, in a little town,
that we would go to
after dentist appointments
and for some reason I was so intrigued by the pizza burger.

I'm pretty sure it was because there was cheese on the INSIDE!!!!
Totally novel, even for a small-town Wisconsin girl.  

Sausage and beef patty, stuffed with cheese and topped with pepperoni and sauce. 

So, recently, I decided that I would treat my family to one of my childhood favorites. 

A favorite that is up on an childhood pedestal,
that I don't really want to eat just anywhere because I don't want to be disappointed
that it won't taste as good as it does in my memory of my childhood.

After just a bit of dreaming and collaborating, 
Sausage and Pepperoni Pizza Burger
was created which did not disappoint my childhood memory. 

(Success in itself!)


For starters, 1# of ground beef and 1# of bulk Italian sausage were combined
along with 1 tsp of Italian seasoning and 1 tsp seasoning salt


Once well mixed, the meat was scored
(if you can see that vague X through the middle)
which just helps to divide the burgers into similar sizes. 

Let the burger making commence!


The first patty was spread out thin on a cutting mat
and about 1/4 cup of shredded mozzarella was placed in the middle. 


Then, the sides were folded up to seal in the cheese. 


The first 4 burgers were added to the grill pan over medium heat. 

Since these are thicker burgers, 
lower heat and longer times are required to ensure they are fully cooked. 


Some cheese might start to melt out…
but believe me, 
it did not affect how exquisite these burgers tasted. 


Once the burgers were done, 
they were placed upon a layer of pizza sauce on a toasted bun
and topped with more sauce, pepperoni and cheese!

OHMIGOSH!
The flavors and textures were so juicy and delicious…

My youngest decided to make it a pizza burger salad with some ranch!
Another, outstanding idea!

RECIPE:
Time: 30 minutes
Makes: 6-8 burgers

Ingredients:
1# ground beef
1# bulk Italian sausage
1 tsp Italian seasoning
1 tsp salt
3-4 cups shredded mozzarella, separated
Pizza sauce
Toasted Bun
Pepperoni

Directions:
  • Combine ground beef, Italian sausage, seasoning and salt. 
  • Form burger by flattening 1/4 # meat and filling 1/4 cup cheese in middle. 
  • Fold up sides and seal well. 
  • Grill over medium heat for 10+ minutes/side until cooked through. 
  • Serve with toasted bun, pizza sauce, pepperoni and more cheese. 



No comments:

Post a Comment