Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Cheesy Hamburger and Rice Skillet (in less than 30 minutes)


Happy Tuesday…

I'm a much bigger fan of Tuesday than Monday. 

Mondays are so overwhelming for me, 
as I put together a to do list for the week and wonder how I'm ever going to get it done! 

Then, Tuesday comes and, eh…
que sera sera!

If you ever find yourself in a 'what am I going to make for dinner?' rut
because of a que sera sera approach...

 I have the solution! 

Throw together a bunch of kitchen staples in this delicious
Cheesy Hamburger and Rice Skillet 
and your family will be clamoring for more! 


Starting out with the 2.5# of ground sirloin,
add 1 chopped onion, 1 tbsp minced garlic and 
a generous sprinkling of seasoning salt
(I just shake the salt over the whole pan of meat)


With the help of my oldest, Ryker, 
an 8 oz can of tomato sauce, 14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes and 1 tbsp hot sauce
were added to the skillet and stirred well. 


Then, my most predictable addition, 
16 oz bag of frozen corn

I just love the flavor, texture and color imparted by those sweet little morsels. 


Finally, some partially cooked minute brown rice

Here's the deal…
I started cooking 3 cups of rice in 2.5 cups of beef broth on it's own
(which would be unnecessary)
and then just poured it in to simmer and finish with the rest of the dish. 

This could all be done in the same pan, just the same…
I'll leave that up to you!


Mix it all up. 


Cover and simmer to allow the rice time to finish up. 


Sprinkle with 1-2 cups of shredded cheese
according to your preference. 

I probably error on the lighter side because 
regardless how cheesy any dish may be…
my family always likes to add more on their own! 


Some parsley and oregano make for a fabulous finishing touch. 

RECIPE:
Time: 20 minutes
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
2.5# of ground sirloin
1 chopped onion
1 tbsp minced garlic 
seasoning salt
8 oz can of tomato sauce
14.5 oz can of diced tomatoes
1 tbsp hot sauce
16 oz bag of frozen corn
3 cups of brown minute rice
2.5 cups of beef broth
1-2 cups of shredded cheese
Parsley
Oregano


Directions:
  • Brown the meat, add onion, garlic and salt. 
  • Add tomatoes, hot sauce and corn, mix to incorporate. 
  • Add rice and broth. 
  • Simmer until rice is cooked and top with cheese, parsley and oregano before serving. 






No comments:

Post a Comment