Monday, December 22, 2014

Sausage, Egg and Cheesy Hash Brown Bake


I don't know about you, but I can hardly believe Christmas is just three days away!  

There is so much anticipation and build-up, that when it actually gets close, it seems surreal.  

I am extremely excited and grateful to have the next two weeks off to be home with the kids.  

Although, I have one minor problem…I tend to be overambitious!  

Yesterday I sat on the couch with my hubby watching the Packer game making out a 
to-do list and scheduling the tasks for the next two weeks.

  I will still get up at 5 am to start laundry and get my workout in, 
I will be as efficient as possible, 
but there is no way that everything I put on my list is going to get done, 
but that won't stop me from trying!  

My goals are to use the first week to get caught up and the second week to get ahead!  

Tackle some projects that have been lingering (like wedding and honeymoon pictures!) 
but I can't forgot that I also have to finish some of the Christmas details…
like sorting presents to ensure that the kids all of the same number and wrapping them.

So, perhaps all of the bedrooms and bathrooms won't get deep-cleaned, 
but you can be sure that the presents and cooking will get done!  

Speaking of cooking, 
how do you plan your holiday meals?  

It has been the topic of multiple dinner discussions over the past week, 
giving each family member a chance to request something special.  

We received a ham from Jerry's employer, 
so that will be accompanied with some roasted baby reds, a nice salad, corn and
fruit cocktail jello made in individual crystal glasses.
(something I did once that has now become a hard and fast tradition!)

As far as Christmas morning, 
I have a easy and delicious breakfast bake for you to make
that will be done just in time for you to open any presents that may have arrived.  


Just brown up 1# of bulk Italian sausage over medium heat. 


Then, sautee a chopped onion right in the same pan,
picking up some of the sausage flavoring. 


Into the baking dish a 28 oz bag of THAWED* hash browns were layered
and sprinkled with salt.  

*Leave the hash browns in the fridge over night and that will cut your baking time in half!  

Next, layer the cooked sausage over the potatoes. 

For an even quicker option, 
diced ham can be used which doesn't require any additional time for browning. 


One dozen eggs, 1 cup of milk, the cooked onions, 1 tsp of salt and 1/2 tsp pepper
were all whisked together. 


The egg mixture was poured over the sausage and potatoes. 


Topped with 1-2 cups of shredded cheddar 
and bake at 350 F for about 30-35 minutes. 


Until the eggs are cooked and the cheese is browned. 


Let stand to cool for 5-10 minutes before serving. 

This was a perfect brunch on a busy sport morning and 
I made it again this past weekend 
for a Christmas gathering on my extended side of the family. 

RECIPE:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 30 minutes

Serves: 10

Ingredients:
1# of bulk Italian sausage (diced ham could be substituted for a quicker prep)
1 onion - chopped
28 oz bag of THAWED hash browns
1 dozen eggs
1 cup of milk
1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1-2 cups of shredded cheddar 

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F. 
  • Layer hash browns into 9x13 pan. 
  • Brown sausage over medium heat, layer over hash browns. 
  • Sautee onion in sausage pan. 
  • Combine eggs, onion, milk, salt and pepper; whisk well. 
  • Pour over hash browns and sausage. 
  • Sprinkle with cheese. 
  • Bake for 30-40 minutes. 
  • Let stand before serving. 





No comments:

Post a Comment