Tuesday, November 18, 2014

Black Bean and Ham Soup


This hearty and flavorful Black Bean and Ham soup really hits the spot on nights like this!  

I just can't get enough of all of my favorites in one pot…
black bean, corn and ham amongst other veggies.  

This soup is so good, that even when I make my largest pot for dinner with dear friends, 
there is nothing left but smiling faces and full tummies.  

I'm thrilled that soup season is here and we will just keep putting down, 
whatever it is that I whip up.  

Although, this is not a fly-by-night soup recipe.  
Sometimes, many times, actually, I just throw stuff together and hope it turns out.  

This soup is an old favorite that I have been making for years, 
one that was known to pay off snow-blowing debt to my dear neighbors,
and magically my driveway was always clear…
often times before I even woke up in the morning.


To get this one pot wonder started, 
a tablespoon or two of olive oil was added to the pan
along with one onion, pepper and tomato
all chopped up and
seasoned with 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp ground oregano and 1 tsp ground cumin
for some initial sautéing. 

  
Once the veggies were softened, 
two cans of black beans were emptied into the pot
along with one jar of black bean and corn salsa
for some nice flavor and just a little heat

A third can of black beans would work just as well. 


Finally, 4 cups of chicken broth,
16 oz of frozen corn and
2 cups of cubed ham were added
and simmered for about 30 minutes. 

Just doesn't seem right that soup THIS good can be THIS easy!  
Don't think twice, just enjoy!


RECIPE:
Prep Time: 15 minutes
Simmer Time: 30 minutes (or less)
Serves: 8

Ingredients:
1-2 tbsp olive oil 
1 onion - chopped
1 green pepper - chopped
1 tomato - chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp ground oregano
1 tsp ground cumin
3 cans of black bean *one can could be replaced by black bean and corn salsa*
4 cups of chicken broth
16 oz of frozen corn 
2 cups of cubed ham

Garnish with sour cream, cilantro, tortilla chips. 

Directions:
Sautee seasoned onion, pepper and tomato in olive oil over medium heat for 5 minutes until softened. 
Add black beans, it is not necessary to drain them. 
Then, finished with broth, corn and ham. 
Simmer for about 30 minutes. 
While the soup simmers, the black beans will open up which will give the soup a thicker texture.  






2 comments:

  1. Hi, Beth, it's a rainy, drizzly cold day here on Long Island, although the rain stopped and the Brewers - Mets game is on TV. I still had the Easter ham bone in the frog and thought of you and your recipe, which I have made and enjoyed a few times but couldn't find the recipe, until I remembered your old blog - and here it is !! Simmering on the stove as I write. How is everything back in Janesville ??

    ReplyDelete