Sunday, April 27, 2014

Lemon Dill Baked Cod


Happy Sunday, if the rain stays away, even though it is cloudy, cool and windy, I will be one happy lady!

More soccer today...and while it is bad enough for the players who have to overcome the elements to play their games, it might be worse for those of us on the sidelines, since we are just sitting there, soaking up the raindrops.

I think it is fair for me to make that statement as I have completed my fair share of runs and rides in the rain and once you get started, it's not so bad to just keep going.  Perhaps invigorating to push on, whatever the conditions.  I have some very fond memories of biking with my dad in the rain, those are the kinds of stories that come up year after year.

Whenever returning from a brisk day in the outdoors, I'm always looking forward to a nice warm, healthy, home-cooked meal and today I've got just the one to fit the bill.

This perfectly flavored Lemon Dill Baked Cod recipe dates back to the days, or should I say, nights right after college when the girls and I would get together for dinner.  My friend Pam would make this dish.  She was always more advanced in her skills...while I was still making ramen noodles for dinner, she was serving delightful meals.


Without further ado, start by layering the baking dish with slices from 2 lemons.  I love how when the lemon juices boil, they burst the perfect amount of flavor into the cod loins.


Layer in the loins over the lemon, I used about 2 lbs of cod to feed my family and there weren't any leftovers...there's a shocker!



Top the fish with coarse sea salt, fresh ground black pepper and butter, before adding the fresh dill sprigs as the finishing touch.

Cover with foil and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes, which is when the cous cous and salad were whipped up.


It really is that easy to have a fresh, healthy meal for your family.

The biggest challenge, at least for me, is in the planning stages, having everything on hand and ready to go.  So, I put the frozen cod loins in the fridge the day before and then picked up some lemons and fresh dill at the store after work.

I can't wait to have my own dill, basil and mint growing on my deck this summer.  Do you grow your own herbs?  What are your favorites?

RECIPE

Ingredients
2 lemons  - sliced
2 lbs of thawed cod loins
1/4 cup butter, in thin pats
Coarse Sea Salt and Fresh Ground Pepper - to taste
Fresh Dill Sprigs

Directions
Layer the bottom of the baking dish with the lemon slices. 
Next, add the thaw cod loins. 
Top with salt, pepper, butter and dill. 
Cover and bake at 400 F for 20 minutes. 

Serve with Tzatziki sauce (which I'm working to perfect) and a fresh lemon wedge.  









No comments:

Post a Comment