Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Chewy Peanut Butter Oatmeal Cookies


Happy Rainy Hump Day!

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain!" 

I'm so thankful for my eternally optimistic husband who finds as much enjoyment in these cliches as I do (ok, probably not quite as much), but with these cool, rainy days, it's a good time to reflect on that that really means.  

So, in an effort to dance in the rain, during this cold, wet stretch of not so springy weather, I decided to whip up some comfort food last night, rather than go straight to bed and wait for the storm to pass.  

Peanut butter cookies have always been my favorite, but once oatmeal is added, they are amazing!  As in, the best cookies I have ever had.

They have the perfect texture with a light crispy, crunchy edge and soft and chewy middle.

Thankfully these have oatmeal in them, that practically qualifies them as health food!


Starting with 2 1/2 cup of quick oats, add 1 1/4 cups flour, 1tsp baking powder, 1 tsp baking soda, 1/4 tsp salt, combine these ingredients in a small bowl and set aside.

Since the oats are so bulky, I do actually get these ingredients stirred up in a separate bowl.


In the mixing bowl, start with 1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter and add 1 cup of peanut butter.  I always go with creamy, as that is what my kids prefer.  I'm sure chunky would be delicious too!

And, I never measure peanut butter…just want to go on record saying that.  I eyeball about 1 cup and go with it.  I know there is a fancy plunger-type measuring canister, that I don't have, but I would not waste the time getting an exact measure as half of the peanut butter would be lost in transition anyway.


Once those first two ingredients are creamed together, add 1 cup white sugar and 1 cup brown sugar, 2 eggs and 2 tsp vanilla extract.


Finally, I fold on the flour and oatmeal mixture, just with a wooden spoon.


I have actually experienced breaking off a mixer head while trying to mix something that is too thick...so, I've finally learned to error on the side of caution, at least as far as mixing is concerned.


The perfect size for this cookie, which yields 3 dozen, is the medium sized scoop from Pampered Chef.


Drop the dough balls onto an ungreased baking sheet.  Bake for 11-13 minutes at 350.  Again, I always go with the lesser amount of time to ensure the chewier texture for these cookies!


The finishing touch on these fabulously tasty morsels, are some chocolates on top.  (Here being executed by the extremely serious Ryker - wish I could share with you his adorable dimple when he smiles!).

Last night we went with mini kisses, which I think are fabulous!  It makes it that much easier to get a little chocolate in at least 3 bites.

RECIPE

Ingredients

2 1/2 cup of quick oats
1 1/4 cups flour
1tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/4 tsp salt

1 cup (2 sticks) softened butter
1 cup of peanut butter
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla extract

Directions

Mix up first 5 dry ingredients and set aside. 

Cream together next 6 ingredients. 

Add to the dry mixture to the wet ingredients, fold together by hand. 

Bake cookies on an ungreased cookie sheet at 350 F for 11-13 minutes.  






No comments:

Post a Comment