Tuesday, February 24, 2015

Potato Soup with Kale and Sausage


Happy Tuesday, 
so excited for another fabulous week to be underway! 

Always so many great opportunities in any given week, 
so much to pursue and accomplish. 

My weekly to-do list is always quite ambitious, 
thankfully I'm motivated by progress, 
so in a good week, my productivity will snowball by the week's end. 

Of course, feeding my family is always on my weekly to-do list.

Last night, 
we enjoyed a family favorite
for dinner. 

Tonight will probably be another hearty soup, 
something along the lines of this soup, both comforting and scrumptious
Potato Soup with Kale and Sausage.

Sure, we all love the soups that simmer all day, 
like our moms and grandmas used to make….

But, I'm also a big fan of a soup that can be whipped up in just about 30 minutes.
especially when it is complete with 
protein, carb and vegetable. 

My favorite meals are always a one-dish wonder!
Otherwise, I must admit, 
I might get too lazy to serve a vegetable, 
who wants to dirty another dish
when you can throw it all in one pot!  


Start by browning up 1# of Italian Sausage.

Fat aside, I'm a pretty big fan of the flavor that sausage imparts and 
have been cooking with it more than ever. 


Set the sausage aside and brown up
1 onion - chopped, 1 tbsp minced garlic, 1 tsp of each salt and pepper

Maybe some butter to aid in the browning, 
but I thought there was enough fat left from the sausage, 
so I omitted that. 


Like spinach, this baby kale wilts down a ton!

So, in goes 2 large handfuls of baby kale….


And after just a few minutes, 
it is wilted down to this. 


Then add 4 medium potatoes - chopped.
The smaller the potato pieces, the faster they cook. 

Maybe I'd cut them smaller next time. 


Add back the sausage. 


And then add 4 cups of broth
and simmer for 10-15 minutes until the potatoes are cooked.

I know I've said this a million times, 
but we like thicker soups, 
so feel free to add more broth if that is your preference. 


Finally, add 1 cup of whole milk
for the creamy-effect. 


Feel free to top with some
 freshly grated parmesan
for some delightful cheesy-nuttiness! 

RECIPE:
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
1# of Italian Sausage
1 onion - chopped
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 tsp of salt
1 tsp of pepper
8 oz baby kale
4 medium potatoes - chopped
4 cups of broth
1 cup of whole milk
Freshly grated parmesan

Directions:
  • Brown sausage and set aside. 
  • Soften the onion and garlic seasoned with salt and pepper. 
  • Add the kale for wilting. 
  • Add chopped potatoes, sausage and broth. 
  • Simmer for about 15 minutes until potatoes are cooked. 
  • Add milk, top with parmesan and serve. 




No comments:

Post a Comment