Monday, June 23, 2014

Italian Pork Chop Skillet


Happy Monday….and back to a week of meals for the family.

I've recently been quite thankful for the fact that I do enjoy cooking and I've thought about those of you who could come up with a million other things to do other than cook, because putting a week's worth of healthy meals on the table is quite time consuming.

As much as I'd love to explore more type of recipes, I find myself dedicating so much time to just getting my family fed that I don't get to dabble in as much variety as I'd hope.

Many of the meals that I make are planned and pre-mediated, but this Italian Pork Chop Skillet was completely just a last minute dish using a variety of things I had on hand.

I was trying to figure out how to cook the pork in the kitchen, as opposed to the grill, since it was a stormy week last week, without using the oven and heating up the whole house.


Also, I didn't know what I was serve it with…but I had corn and zucchini and I thought if I just throw that together with some tomatoes and cream cheese, I'd have a decent skillet meal.

Let me tell you, my guys were thrilled!  And while Jerry and Ryker often have seconds, Landon even got into the mix, fighting over the leftovers.

I love a dish like this where the protein, vegetables and carbs are all wrapped up into one pan, keeps the clean up to a minimum as well!

It was quick and easy and family-pleasing.


Just start by sautéing some thin cut pork chops sprinkled generously with Italian seasoning which provided a little texture as well as flavor, in a pre-heated pan with your preferred vegetable oil.

After flipping and finishing on the second side, the pork chops were set aside.

I always use my microwave as a little warming box, as it holds heat very well and keeps food warm while it waits for the next step.  


Next, into the skillet (add a bit more oil if necessary), chopped onion, zucchini and thawed corn were added to cook and soften up a bit.


For the sauce, 8 oz of low fat cream cheese and one jar of marinara were poured in and heated up.


Simmer for a few minutes to all all of the delicious flavors to combine. 

If the sauce is too sweet, this can always be balanced by salt, or in this instance some parmesan was the perfect solution.  


Add the pork back to the skillet for one last shot of heat before serving.

It was so easy and delicious, I might be making it again this week!  


Ingredients:
Thin cut Pork Chops 
Italian seasoning
1 Onion - chopped
3 Zucchini - chopped
1 Bag of frozen Corn - thawed
8 oz of low fat Cream Cheese
1 jar of Marinara
Parmesan cheese - grated, to taste

Directions:
Sautee seasoned pork in pre-heated pan with oil, flip and set aside when fully cooked. 
To the pan, add onion, zucchini and corn, sautee until softened.
Next, add the marinara sauce and cream cheese, cook until sauce is smooth. 
Add parmesan, to taste, to round out flavors. 
Return pork to pan. 

Serve it up and let your family devour. 







No comments:

Post a Comment