Wednesday, April 8, 2015

Scalloped Potatoes and Ham


If you have ham leftover from Easter, 
you aren't the only one!  

Not sure what I was thinking when I bought a 10 lb ham
for the 5 of us…

Because, in case you were wondering, 
2 lb of ham for each person...
is a lot of ham!  

So, on day 4 of ham-for-dinner, 
I had to get a bit creative
and thought I'd bring back on childhood favorite of mine 
while I was at it.

  Enter
Scalloped Potatoes and Ham.

A pretty simple but delicious dish,
I had a hard time stopping myself from nibbling the leftovers.  


Just start by layering a sprayed baking dish with sliced potatoes,
in total I used 4 large potatoes,
sliced thinly.

Top the potatoes with 1/4 cup chopped onions,
2 pats of butter, cubed, 
1 tbsp of flour and 
a sprinkling of seasoning salt.

Since the ham brings a lot of salt to the dish,
don't go too crazy with the salt. 


Keep layering the potatoes and toppings
until your pan is full or you run out of something.

I stopped when my pan was full, 
but since it cooks down,
I wish I had heaped in one more layer!


For the finishing touch,
scald 3 cups of whole milk.  

This means to heat it so that you can see the film forming on top
(nope, that isn't a dirty lens)
but not so that it is boiling.


Pour that over the layers,
cover, to keep the moisture in while the dish got hot,
and bake for 30 minutes at 350 F.

Remove the foil after 30 minutes,
and bake for another hour of so.

I stirred after 30 minutes,
although I am very reluctant about opening up the oven while baking
because it lets so much heat out and causes uneven baking.



After an hour,
the potatoes were tender,
and the dish was saucy.

This continues to thicken as it cools.  

RECIPE:
Prep Time: 30 minutes
Bake Time: 90 minutes
Serves: 6

Ingredients:
4 large baking potatoes - sliced thinly
4 cups of cubed ham
1 medium onion - chopped
4 tbsp of flour
1/4 cup butter
Seasoning salt - to taste
3 cups of whole milk

Directions:
  • Preheat oven to 350 F. 
  • Spray baking dish. 
  • Layer in 1 sliced potato. 
  • Top with 1 cup ham, 1/4 cup chopped onion, 1 tbsp flour and 2 pats of butter, cubed. 
  • Continue to alternate layers of potato and toppings. 
  • Finally, scald 3 cups of whole milk and pour over top of dish. 
  • Cover and bake for 30 minutes. 
  • Remove foil and bake for an additional 60 minutes, stirring halfway through. 



No comments:

Post a Comment