Monday, July 14, 2014

Mojito Fruit Salad (no alcohol required)


Hey, how's it going?

Are you also continually shocked by how fast summer goes?  I keep reminding myself that ultimately, a fast summer is the sign of a great summer!  But, then I just want it to last forever…so much more fun to squeeze in!

In addition to all of the fabulous summer activities…pools and beaches, baseball, outdoor concerts and dining; comes the amazing fruit!

Every time I go shopping, I find myself buying way more fruit than seems necessary because it is all there, so fresh and ready to eat, screaming my name…"Libby, feed me to your family!" and, I cave.

So, after the first few days of eating the whole fruit, I often turn to whatever is left into a fruit salad.  I shouldn't be too surprised that if it requires any work, the fruit will be bypassed, but if it is all cut up into bite size pieces, it is devoured immediately!

While chopping up my most recent fruit salad, a recommendation from a fabulous friend came to mind, saying that she recently had a Mojito Fruit Salad, said it was amazing and I should look it up.

This was particularly exciting for me, as my very aggressive mint plant on my deck is in desperate need of use, before it takes over everything else in that planter.

When I googled it, the first recipe that came up was from Iowa Girl Eats, which is one of my favorite blogs to follow.  Her recipe is here.

And, since there aren't too many ingredients in the dressing, there wasn't much I could do to make it my own…other than the fact that I never really measure and my fruit salads are always just a medley of the fruit in my fridge.


When I make fruit salads, I always layer the fruit in.  This started with 1 cup of grapes, 1 plum, 1 nectarine and 1 cup of strawberries, then topped with 4 chopped mint leaves.  



Continued to layer with another cup of grapes, 2-3 more plums, 2 more nectarines, 1 cup strawberries and 4 more leaves of mint.


The dressing was super easy…just add 3 tbsp of powdered sugar to 1/4 cup lime juice.

Stir it up, pour it over and give a gentle fold.



The lime juice does cause the fruit to soften, so dressing immediately before serving it highly recommended.

Although, once all of the juices were flowing, it tasted like fruit punch…the.BEST.ever!





No comments:

Post a Comment