Monday, April 7, 2014

Super-simple, scrumptious Shrimp Tacos (and counting carbs)



Whew, that went fast!  We had a couple of jam-packed days with baseball, basketball, Girl Scouts, piano, Badgers, our favorite near 2 year old, Kennedy, visiting and to top it all off..warming temperatures and sunshine!

Welcome to a new week!

I have never been so elated to see 60's in the forecast, especially with the kids' spring break coming up and a garage in desperate need of purging.

Regardless of the weather, shrimp is always in season.   This time in a taco, quick, easy and so delicious!

Before I get to the meal, I'd like to share some other recent learnings.

Jerry and I met with a dietician to learn more about a diabetic diet, I have to admit, I was pretty clueless, which is embarrassing to admit as a food professional, but I didn't know how many grams of carbs were ok or the best way to spread them throughout the day.

We learned that rather than feast or famine, it is much better to consume the carbs evenly throughout the day (This isn't Weight Watchers, where you have a certain number of points to use however you want throughout the day).

Seems logical. But, how many carbs are optimal?  And, of course, what is a proper serving size?

This one gets me every time! It is generally much smaller than you think.  Like 8 tortilla chips…when is the last time anyone ate just 8 chips?!?!?

Regardless, it was great for Jerry and I to be there together so that we are on the same page and can keep each other in check.

For anyone with an inquiring mind, the goal is 3 servings of carbs per meal and 2 snacks of one serving each.  (One serving of carbs is about 15 grams. )

As I was making dinner, I was taking inventory of the grams of carbs in each component, so that I could prepare Jerry's plate accordingly.  Note to self...while cooking is a little late, but we are both learning as we go.

The taco shells are each about 20 grams of carbs, the rice was a whopping 51 grams of carbs/serving (probably not a great choice on my part, I realize as it is already boiling.)

And, most importantly, to Jerry's satisfaction, the shrimp have 0 grams of carbs...so he can eat those to his hearts content (well, except for the cholesterol content, his heart probably doesn't love that!).

So, Jerry's plate was two taco shells overflowing with shrimp and a slice of avocado, while the kids and I were left to fill up on shells, rice and about 3 shrimp each.  Haha!

These changes to the diet might take a little to get used to, but we all know we feel better when we eat better and that's the goal for my whole family!

Now that I've shared all that I know about a healthy, optimal diabetic diet, I'll get to the goods!


Start by sautéing the shrimp in a pan with olive oil and minced garlic.  Season with chili powder, salt and pepper.


When the shrimp are cooked, finish with the juice from half of a lime and some crushed rosemary.

Stuff the shrimp into a taco shell of choice and serve with a slice of avocado and a side of rice.

It's that easy and doesn't take much more than 10 - 15 minutes.



Jerry is now torn between the fish tacos and these as his favorite, as they are both delicious. I can't argue.

Although, next time, I'd probably whip up a chili-lime sauce to serve them with, as there is something so delightful about the contrast of cool, creaminess with the snap of the shrimp and the crunch of the shell. (Sorry folks, I don't have that for you now, I'll have to dream it up sometime soon.)


RECIPE

Ingredients

2 tbsp olive oil
1 tbsp minced garlic
1 lb raw shrimp, thawed
1 tsp chili powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1 lime
1 tsp crushed rosemary
1 avocado
taco shells of choice

Directions

Saute the shrimp and garlic in the olive oil over med heat.
Season with chili powder, salt and pepper.
Finish with the juice of half of a lime and rosemary.

Stuff into shells, top with a slice of avocado and serve with rice.













No comments:

Post a Comment