Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Pizza Pinwheels


Happy April Fool's Day…hopefully you have something great planned to get a good laugh at someone else's expense. I'm going to let my family cook me dinner.  April Fools!

Last week, Kraft's Food and Family magazine arrived and I was inspired to try their pizza roll up recipe.  Seemed to be the perfect balance between something different and something familiar.  I got to have fun experimenting in the kitchen and the family got to enjoy something familiar.

There is just something so perfectly wonderful about cheese melted on top of sauce, meats, veggies and bread that whether it is Buffalo Chicken  or Spaghetti Squash Boats, you just can't go wrong with pizza!

In fact, there aren't many things that would make my weekly menu on a regular basis, but pizza is one of those few exceptions.  In general, I prefer to make something totally different and new rather than go with something familiar, but I try to balance the old with the new to keep my family on board with all of the crazy recipes.


Starting with a tube of refrigerated pizza dough, roll it out on a lightly floured surface to keep it from sticking, a large cutting board would be best. I do believe that the recommendation was to roll it out to a symmetrical shape, which I ignored and experienced some lopsided ends of the roll as a result.  Still was delicious, just the same.


Top the dough with thin layers of pizza sauce and other favorite toppings.  We kept it simple sausage, pepperoni and mozzarella cheese, despite my favorite pizza toppings being onion and green peppers.


Now, the pizza is ready to roll, from the long side of the dough, roll it up until all of the toppings are enclosed in the dough.  Then slice the roll into pinwheels of desired thickness, this is where the cutting board would come I handy.  I think 16 was the recommendation, but I only got 14, which worked out just fine.

Place the pinwheels on a shallow pan for baking, but could see how the recommended 9x9 pan could work as well. Don't forget to spray first.


Sprinkle with some grated Parmesan and bake at 375 F for 25 minutes or so, to desired doneness.

Served these pinwheels up with a nice side salad, that is generally my go to veggie to compliment pizza.





RECIPE

One tube of refrigerated pizza dough
Classico pizza sauce
Sausage - cooked
Pepperoni
Mozzarella Cheese - shredded
Grated Parmesan

Roll out the pizza dough on a floured surface.
Top with a thin layer of sauce, pizza toppings of choice and cheese.
Roll into a long roll.
Slice into 14-16 pinwheels and place on baking pan.
Sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Bake for 25 minutes at 375F.


No comments:

Post a Comment